Advantages Of Smart Openers
Peace Of Mind
A smart door opener can provide peace of mind in a number of ways. First, we’ve all left home and wondered if we closed the garage door. We store valuable things in the garage and there is access to the rest of the home from the garage. It can be very stressful wondering if the door is closed or not. But with a smart garage door, you can use your cellphone to make sure it’s closed from anywhere with cell service.
Secondly, your garage door opener can let you know anytime the door is opened. If you’re away or not expecting anyone to open the door, you can take action quickly. With a camera in place, you can see who is in the garage and call police if needed.
Another feature that helps with peace of mind is the door scheduling function. With a preset closing time, you never need to wonder if you remembered to close the door while trying to drift off to sleep.
Control Access To Your Home
Another advantage of smart openers is the ability to open and close the door from anywhere with cell service. There could be any number of reasons you might need to do this and it sure comes in handy. In addition, you may want to provide temporary access to a friend, relative or even a contractor so they can go in and out as needed while you’re away. Most smart door apps allow you to create codes for others that you can enable or disable as needed.
Consumers are buying more and more stuff online and having it delivered to their home. Unfortunately, thieves know this and package theft has become all too common. A smart garage door allows you to open and close the door for deliveries so your packages are safely stored in the garage until you get home. Some garage door apps integrate with services like Amazon Prime providing even more convenience.
Smart Garage Door Opener Models
The Liftmaster 84505R is packed with features taking full advantage of the hi-res camera and audio features allowing homeowners to monitor their garage from anywhere. This opener works with the popular MyQ app to provide a huge set of functions and conveniences.
- Built-in camera adds video and 2-way audio communication to the myQ® app.
- Control, secure and monitor your garage with the myQ app anytime, from anywhere.
- Integrated LED lighting system brightens high traffic areas of the garage with 1500 lumens of light.
- Ultra-quiet DC motor and strong belt drive system ensures for comfortable living spaces near the garage.
- Works with Amazon Key for for convenient and secure In-Garage Delivery of Amazon packages and groceries allowing you to watch deliveries in real-time.
- myQ Diagnostics in the myQ app provides real-time insights for your garage door via the Health Report. Receive alerts and error codes in the app if an issue arises and connect with a professional for services if needed.
The Chamberlain B6753T is feature rich and also works with the MyQ app. What we like about this particular model is the battery backup. Chamberlain offers the same model without battery backup for $70 less, but for the money we suggest getting the backup.
- Built-in camera: 130⁰ wide angle camera lets you see and hear what’s happening in your garage through the myQ® app.
- Smartphone control: Control, secure and monitor the garage with the myQ app- anytime, from anywhere.
- Integrated Corner to Corner™ LED lighting: Uniformly brightens every corner of the garage, motion activated, 2,000 lumens.
- Quiet operation: An ultra-quiet DC motor and belt drive system ensures for comfortable living spaces near the garage.
- Open/close your garage door even when the power is out with Battery Backup.
- Works with Amazon Key: Enables convenient and secure In-Garage Delivery. PLUS live video streaming capabilities let you watch your Amazon packages and groceries get delivered to your garage in real-time.
- BILT® intelligent instructions: 3D instructions for a quick, easy installation.
The Genie Stealth750 is an affordable option while offering quiet operation with a hefty 1 1/4 HP motor. In addition, it features battery backup which is a requirement in some states. However, this model doesn’t have any audio or video capabilities which keeps the cost down. If audio and video aren’t needed, this may be a great choice.
- Keeps you connected without the need for added hardware
- Aladdin Connect is compatible with the most popular smart home platforms like Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant
- Set-up is a breeze, simply download the free Aladdin Connect App, connect your homes Wi-Fi and you have a smartphone connection in no time
- 1-1/4 HPc DC motor will smoothly and quietly lift sectional garage door up to 7 ft. in height and up to 500 lbs. in weight
- Easy-to-install strong 5-piece rail system snaps together with no added hardware
- Keep your home safe with state-of-the-art security of Genie Intellicode that changes the opener’s access code when the remote is used
- GenieSense monitoring technology minimizes wear and tear by always monitoring the door
- Works with popular built-in car remotes systems such as HomeLink and Car2U (Genie exclusive)
- The integrated backup battery operates opener when your power goes out up to 50 cycles from initial power failure.
- Accessories Included: a 3-Button remote, Multi-Function wall console, and 2-LED light bulbs
Smart Openers Are A Smart Investment
Modern technology has allowed garage door opener makers to add a rich set of features using WIFI connections and smart phones. Gone are the days of simple open and close doors. New features provide additional security and convenience at reasonable price points. If you are in need of a new opener, consider what the added features bring to the table and if they make sense for you.